Service to customers is a core value of the public sector. Our customers include individuals, businesses, and communities. As a senior executive, you are responsible for promoting a culture of customer service by:
- demonstrating personal conduct and decision making that focuses on delivering quality services to the people of NSW
- driving a systematic approach to service improvement in your agency, including its culture, systems, program design, workforce development, and measurement and use of customer impact and customer insights data
- adopting the NSW Customer Strategy and Customer Commitments within your agency and empowering employees to improve outcomes for customers
- assessing the benefits of moving your agency’s transactional services to the government’s Service NSW, the Government's one-stop digital, phone and shopfront service portal
working with the Department of Customer Service on various initiatives to improve customer outcomes for millions of people and deliver efficiencies in how services are delivered through digital platforms.
Service culture and practices
As a senior executive you directly influence how your team demonstrates the core value of Service. You should take a systematic approach to establishing and maintaining a service-focused workplace, which includes embedding the priority of service in:
- workplace culture
- positive and productive workplace practices and conduct
- employee recruitment, development and promotion
- customer and client service delivery standards.
Strengthening workplace diversity and inclusion within agencies is another important strategy you can use to improve the services your agency provides to the diverse range of communities across NSW.
The Customer Commitments
The Customer Commitments represent the public sector's promise to customers. They have been developed using customer research and input from staff across the NSW Government. The Commitments give a clear picture of what customers should expect when receiving government services.
The Commitments provide a tool to align, engage and empower NSW Government employees behind customer service.