Oversight agencies have special powers that enable them to safeguard the public interest and conduct investigations.
An oversight agency may contact you or your agency during a routine audit, to seek assistance with an investigation, or as part of its efforts to improve compliance, conduct and operations in your agency or across the sector.
It is important for you to be aware of the role of each agency, so you can:
- ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- manage complaints and investigations
- access support and resources when needed.
As a senior executive, you should always co-operate with and assist oversight agencies in their operations and enquiries.
Oversight agencies can support you as a senior executive by:
- providing training on your obligations and responsibilities
- providing information on key risk factors you are likely to come across and risk mitigation strategies
- giving advice on how to manage complaints from the public and employees
- sharing publications to support agencies perform their functions.